Our culture as a whole is taking a turn toward the health focussed. Wellness has become a mainstream topic of conversation as we all search for the secret that suits our lifestyle. This summer brings a slew of new trends and we have narrowed it down to the top 7.
the top 7 wellness trends to try this summer
- 1Unplug. People are looking for a digital detox from the stressors of the online world. Studies have show that the level of stimulants present on our screens cause an instant increase in anxiety. Merely looking at your phone screen stresses out your brain. Not to mention wading through a constant overload of depressing information and angry comments. To embrace a detox, Push yourself to turn off your device for at least a little while. Ideally, delete the apps and ignore them for a few days to a week.
- 2Hydrate. We know that water is essentail to life, but now the water market offers dozens of delightful new ways to hydrate. La Croix took the beverage world by storm and opened the doors for new companies offering unsweetened flavored water. My personal new addiction is Flow. This lightly flavored (or not) alkaline spring water is surprisingly refreshing. Additionally, it comes in a completely earth friendly package. I don’t know if it’s all in my head or if the naturally occurring minerals and electrolytes are what my body needs. One way or another I can’t get enough of it on these hot summer days.
- 3Simplify. Life is busy and for many of us it has become too much. People are desperate to simplify their homes, wardrobes and lifestyles. Simplicity is the mantra of this summer: minimize your schedule, wear (and re-wear) the clothes you feel best in throw out the things that don’t bring you joy. Coincidentally, you may find that simpler living brings peace of mind.
- 4Cauliflower Everything. Love it or hate it, but this bland option on a veggie tray is being repurposed for everything from pizza to potatoes. The amazing texture and noteworthy health benefits of cauliflower make it the obvious substitute for other carbs. Anyone trying to reduce their glycemic index or kick a gluten habit should give this unexpected hero a chance. If you haven’t tried this veggie in its new forms then tonight might be the perfect night to pick up a pizza with ingredients you feel good about.
- 5Small Rituals with Big Impact. In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a trend among these trends. Mental health is becoming a much bigger priority in the wellness industry. People are looking to clear their head and establish a more peaceful routine. Simple activities like choosing to slow down and enjoy the ritual of coffee via a pour over or a french press can be a small pause throughout the day that calms the mind. In essence, this trend turns normal tasks of the day into a type of tranquil meditation.
- 6CBD is Bigger Than Ever. CBD took the world by storm in 2018, but it’s picking up steam as more studies reveal its potential and new legislation opens up doors for farming. Notably, this is specifically in reference to cannabidiol, a non-intoxicating compound. The compound is found in hemp and cannabis plants and has potential to relieve anxiety, pain, insomnia and inflammation.
- 7Shaking Up the Milk Isle. Camel milk and oat milk are making their debut as the best beverages for your coffee and cereal. Vegans and coffee lovers rave about the creamy texture of oat milk as it outpaces some of the more watery milk substitutes. Camel’s milk is a bit more exotic, but has been shown to be beneficial to people with diabetes. This startling new trend is said to have anti-inflammatory properties that could help with a variety of chronic conditions.