We all know water is essential to health. Whether its for a headache, a cold, or general fatigue, “drink some water” is some of the most common advice we hear. Increasing your water intake helps with everything from smoother bowl movements to a faster metabolism and clearer skin. Your body needs water to upkeep all of it’s cells and organs. It protects your joints and is so essential in your brain that dehydration causes you to feel sluggish and decreases focus.
With about 60-70% of our bodies made of water (80% for a newborn baby), it is the most basic human need. However, here are a few things about water that may still surprise you.
- 1Food supplies about 20% of you water needs. Some fruits and vegetables are almost exclusively water weight so if you eat a large amount of those you are not as likely to experience dehydration.
- 2Sports drinks are not a good alternative to water unless you are doing over an hour of vigorous exercise. These sugary beverages are only necessary if you're heavily sweating for an extended period of time. Otherwise the extra sugar will only add unwanted calories.
- 3If you feel thirst then you are already dehydrated. In fact your body has lost more than 1% of its total water. If you consume healthy amounts of water throughout your day then you won't feel thirsty and your pee will be a nice pale color.
- 4The average person could live without food for nearly a month, but we could only survive about one week without water. On average, women need about 2.7 liters of water every day (15.5 cups) and men need 3.7 liters (11.5 cups).
- 5Incredibly, there is the same amount of water on Earth today as there was at the planet's birth. Believe it or not, the water you drink could share the same molecules as the water that dinosaurs consumed.
Life is able to exist because of water. Incredibly the deepest parts of the ocean hold more life than anywhere else on earth. Scientists speculate that life originated in water and the recent discovery of deep seas on the moons of Jupiter open the doors of possibility there as well. Mull that over while you pour a glass and enjoy a clearer mind and healthier body.